Organizing a Campaign
If you are interested in organizing a community campaign, we are eager to help. After reading this brief overview, take a look at the campaign resource links that follow to get a better idea of what goes into leading a local America Saves campaign. Then, please be in touch with us at the contact information below.
Step One: Talk to a member of the America Saves leadership team to discuss your plans and address your questions.
Step Two: Begin to develop your campaign.
Step Three: Submit your signed affiliation agreement.
America Saves and its affiliated community campaigns engage in a common social marketing strategy to motivate positive savings behavior in order to create a culture of savings in the U.S. America Saves also works with local affiliates to promote savings behavior, inform the public about the need, and to make available successful saving strategies and appropriate opportunities for positive financial action.
America Saves community campaigns are independent efforts linked to the national America Saves campaign through an affiliation agreement and by a common belief that positive savings behavior is the cornerstone of financial stability and wealth creation.
One of the strengths of a social marketing campaign such as America Saves is that while core services, messages, and products are the same, each campaign customizes these critical components to reflect their own community. Social marketing seeks to change behavior. Since this behavior change occurs over time, a campaign should be prepared to engage in a multi-year effort. America Saves and local coordinators will work together to implement campaigns that include the following core components.
1) Savings promotion including the need to save and opportunities to save. This can occur year round but at a minimum during America Saves Week and requires the use of America Saves branded materials customized for local relevance.
2) Participation of local financial institutions. Work with local financial institutions to provide a no-fee savings account that has a low opening balance and no minimum requirements.
3) Individual participation. Sign up individuals to be Savers. Research has shown that people save best if they can visualize a savings goal and make a plan. The signing up procedure is a simple planning tool as both a goal and monthly deposit amount are identified.
America Saves supports affiliated campaigns with a significant amount of resources, materials and technical assistance. These include a support structure for both campaigns and individual Savers. Check out these campaign resources: affiliation agreement, campaign common strategy information, and the local campaign tracking document. For more information about organizing a campaign, please call America Saves at
Other information for organizers:
- Holly Petraeus on Military Saves Week
- Tax Saving Tips and Savings Bonds
- Cindy Hounsell on Why Women Need to Save More for Retirement
- Asst. Sec.of Labor Borzi endorses America Saves
Kojuan Almond from the SSA on America Saves